RE: starter problem

To: <j.honor@comcast.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starter problem
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:56:57 -0700
        j:

        As previously mentioned, the relay near the wiper motor is the
starter interlock relay. If your car is a 74-1/2 (has the rubber baby
buggy bumpers) then this relay will interlock the car to prevent it from
starting *if* the seat belts are not fastened.  Many cars have the
interlock defeated, but the starter relay is still in the circuit so it
still needs to function for the car to start.
        Normally this relay is controlled by the buzzer module located
in the passenger foot well, but with a little fussing you can bypass the
buzzer module so that the belts do not need to be fastened for the car
to start. Usually you can just disconnect the occupant sensor switches
under the seats and the system is defeated. The car will start normally
if this done, and will NOT interlock the starter when the belts are not
fastened.
        A traditional jump start will normally start the car. *IF* the
interlock system is still working, you may get a no crank condition if
you failed to fasten your belt when sitting in the car. Normally this
will sound a buzzer and illuminate the "BELTS" indicator on your dash,
but if a DPO buggered the wiring, who knows what will happen?
        It is safe to say that if you hear the interlock relay (next to
the wiper) clicking, then the starter motor should crank. If the
interlock is preventing a start the relay will not do anything, so you
will not hear any clicking.

        Vance
        1974-1/2 Mimosa Yellow