Re: Urethane bushing elongation... Huh?

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Urethane bushing elongation... Huh?
From: Hugh Barber <tr6nut@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:06:58 -0400
Navarrette, Vance wrote:

>       Hugh:
>
>       I have been following this thread, and I must say I do not
> understand. Doh!
>       What exactly is getting "elongated"? Is the center bore of the
> bushing moving so that the bolt hole is no longer centered? Or is the
> bushing somehow getting extruded out of the trailing arm, or both, or
> neither? Does someone have a picture posted somewhere?
>
>       Clueless as always,
>
>       Vance

Vance,

Plastic items that are under stress or pressure can exhibit what is
sometimes called "cold flow".  The urethane bushings that I had
exhibited symptoms of this.  The ID becomes oval instead of round (but
the OD remains round).  When this happened, the bolt/sleeve is not
longer held securely in the bushing, but instead is free to move around
in the ovaled ID.

Hugh