Vacuum Retard

To: TR6 List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vacuum Retard
From: James Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:27:09 -0400
I'm trying to tell whether the vacuum retard unit on my 1973 TR6
distributor is working properly.  When I apply a vacuum to it, it moves
but does not hold the vacuum, so returns to its resting position.  It's
as if a sudden vacuum signal would move it, but then it drops back.
Should it behave this way, or is it simply leaking?

A supplementary question is: does this engine really need this feature
for performance reasons, or is the vacuum retard only an accommodation
to emissions control?  I am converting this car from downdraft webers to
SUs and this provides me with a vacuum signal at the carb which, I
believe, will be present at partial and full throttle, and this seems
wrong to me to connect this to a retard unit.  In the normal Stomberg
setup, where does the retard vacuum unit port attach?

Thanks.