Re: Front Suspension

To: "6-Pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front Suspension
From: "Robert Breazeale" <robertbreazeale@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:45:45 -0700
Bob,

Reading your response and thinking back over the condition of some of
the parts as I disassembled them, I think you are on to something.  I
remember when removing the steering arm that the two bolts attaching it
were visibly bent.  The steering arm appeared to have no damage.
Additionally, the front lower fulcrum mount was bent.  I replaced that
fulcrum mount during the rebuild.  My original thinking was that after
38 years and what appears to be original rubber bushings, coupled with
being driven for who knows how long in such a poor condition, was the
reason for the bent bolts and fulcrum mount.  I am now wondering, as you
hinted to, if this front side as taken a sever hit into a curb or
something similar in the past.  I can really understand what you mean
when you say "have spare parts... big dividends".

My current plan is to move on to the drivers side and at the appropriate
point, partially disassemble the passenger side  and compare the
vertical links, spindles and steering arms for trueness.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, - Robert -