Re: Wiper Switch

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wiper Switch
From: "Jeff Fetner" <fetnerj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:59:14 -1000
Stan,
    I have the same problem with my 74 (and the spare I got from a parts
car)  Clear Hooters must have used the same weak grade of plastic they used
on their rocker switches.
   Tightening up the chromed ring on the dash will only keep the "cup" at
the back of the dash from turning.  The switch itself is a separate unit,
held onto the back of the "cup" by a small nut that goes over the switch
shaft to the back of the cup.  You can see it if you remove the knob and use
a flashlight.  Try tightening this one up.
    Be careful.  Unfortunately the shaft the metal nut goes on is also
plastic, so too much tightening will strip the plastic threads (ask me how I
know).  There is a way to fix this, but hopefully you won't need it.  My
switch works the wipers fine, but has the same resistance/notchy feel you
describe.

    I'm sure this won't make sense until you have the whole thing out and
can take it apart in the light of day.  It's made just like the manual
windscreen washer pump in the TR4, which I had previous experience in
repairing.

Jeff
74 & 74.5 TR6