Fw: general question: Brakes

To: Six Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: general question: Brakes
From: Rod Anderson <rod_anderson_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:50:55 -0700 (PDT)
Third time try at getting this on the list.  Apologies for any duplication....
I think there's a simpler reason that the others presented here. Torque. To
stop a faster car in the same distance, you have to apply more torque to the
wheels.  Torque is given by:

T = r x F

where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and F is the force (both
vectors), and x is the cross product (which reduces to simple multiplication
here).   So to get a higher T with the same pedal effort you can either
increase F by using pads with a higher coefficient of friction, or increase r
by increasing the size of the pads and rotor.  There are physical or functional
limits to the coefficient of friction, so increasing r is the only option for
high performance brakes.

Of course, larger pads and rotors will have greater heat capacity thus
operating cooler than otherwise, but I think this is a secondary requirement.

Rod Anderson