RE: [TR] [6pack] Silicone gasket

To: "David Friedlander" <forzion@maine.rr.com>, "Darrell Walker"
Subject: RE: [TR] [6pack] Silicone gasket
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:11:10 -0700
        Folks:

        Those of you despairing over a lack of silicone rubber gaskets
for your alloy valve cover or oil pan might consider what has been
working well for me; Permatex Hylomar gasket dressing.
        For my valve cover, I used plain old permatex sealant to fasten
the gasket to the cover. When installing the cover on the head, I run a
*thin* line of Hylomar around the head on the gasket surface. When the
valve cover is tightened the Hylomar spreads under the gasket. Never
leaks a drop of oil, even though I use the OEM style cork gasket.
        With this arrangement the gasket lasts indefinitely as it always
releases nicely from the head and it never falls off the cover, gets
twisted or pinched, etc. The Hylomar never sets, resists oil and gas,
and gaskets never stick to the engine. Makes disassembly and reassembly
a snap. It is expensive, however (you knew there had to be a catch).

        Cheers,

        Vance