RE: [6pack] Gunst & Borg & Beck Update

To: <acekraut11@aol.com>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Gunst & Borg & Beck Update
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:31:28 -0700
    Aaron:

    If you are using the stock Volvo pinion gear (20) teeth, then the
stock TR6 OD pinion should fix you up. I looked at some documents, and
the TR6 used a 21 tooth OD pinion. This will lower your speedo reading
by exactly 5%. Remember that the pinion for the TR6 OD and non-OD
trannys were different - so you want the pinion for the TR6 *OD* tranny.
    John Esposito at Quantum will have the correct pinion - probably
about $40. A bit expensive if you ask me (he has never been cheap) but
he is a pleasure to deal with and knows his stuff. If you can find a
better deal from the big three then go for it. Also, I saw that John is
offering a complete kit to recalibrate your Volvo OD for the TR6. It
includes the gear *and* pinion as does the Rimmer brothers kit. So if
you can't find a pinion to get it right, you always have this option.
    BTW, my brand new speedo cable snapped in two right behind the
speedometer within 100 miles after I installed my OD. Of course I was
worried that the OD conversion had something to do with it. I *THINK*
that the addition of the overdrive means that the speedo cable gets
rerouted and therefore makes a tighter turn into the firewall. I think
that this tighter turn places more stress on the cable, making it more
susceptible to breakage. At least, this is where mine broke, about 6
inches behind the speedo.
    I replaced the cable with another new cable, but before installing
it I removed the inner portion of the cable and dipped it in gear lube
before reinserting it in the sheath. I have had no problems since then.
I hope that this extra lube will give it a normal life.
    My experience with the Volvo pinion was identical. The Volvo pinion
shaft was too small to accept the TR6 cable, so I popped off the Volvo
pinion and pressed it on to the TR6 pinion shaft. Works fine, even if
the speedo was off - but it gave me a baseline from which to do the
calibration.

    Cheers,

    Vance