Re: [6pack] EBC Kevlar or Semi-Metallic

To: Bob Danielson <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Subject: Re: [6pack] EBC Kevlar or Semi-Metallic
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:03:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Bob Danielson wrote:

> For those of us who don't drive our cars particularly hard or fast, which
> pad from TRF would you put on: EBC Kevlar or Semi-Metallic (Hawk?)?? Which
> one gives off the least amount of dust & noise/squeal and stops best in
> normal driving?  TRF "promotes" the EBC Kevlar as being for fast road,
> auto-cross and mild race yet it seems that a lot of you use them for
> everyday driving.

I have no experience with either EBC or Hawk... However, I do have
experience with kevlar and metallic compounds.

The kevlar pads on the race car that I use produce black dust. Not lots of
black dust, but black dust that gets on your hands when you take the
wheels/tires off. Kevlar is good because it's not very damaging to the
rotors.

Metallic pads cause less dust, but you eat rotors at a higher rate.
Metallic pads are also more likely to make noise.

All things being equal, I like the kevlar pads for street applications.
You just have to clean the wheels a tad more often (less if you drive
"normal" as opposed to me where I tend to get a bit "agressive" from
time-to-time).

:-)

> Also.....it appears that there aren't the options for rear brake shoes like
> there are for front discs. Why is that?

The reason for this is several-fold

1. the rear brakes don't do much and therefore last a LOT longer than the
front pads.

2. to get TR6 shoes lined with an appropriate brake compound, you need to
turn in the shoes for re-lining. The race pad places can do this, but the
cost is higher because of the lower demand for the work (the shops do a
few sets at a time as opposed to hundreds or thousands.

3. several sources including (including tsimportedautomotive.com (Ted
Schumacher) can re-line your old TR6 shoes with fancy compounds. I like
the carbon kevlar because they work in all temps which is better for
street driving.

4. A lot more cars use the Girling 16 caliper than use the Triumph 9"
brake drum. Note that the number of possible sources for front pads is
somewhat less than it used to be. That's because the demand is drying up.
At some point, you'll have two choices: custom and whatever is available.

> Any experience would be appreciated as I plan on putting in my brake parts
> order tonight

Oooops. I guess this is too late. Oh well, I tried.

:-)

> Thanks
>
> Bob Danielson
> 1975 TR6 CF38503U
> Running w/ Throttle Body Injection
> http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489