[6pack] New Springs-Help

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] New Springs-Help
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:20:15 -0700 (PDT)
If I recall correctly the bolts that hold the spring pan to each of
the wishbones on each side of the front are studs that are threaded on
both ends.  I have had pretty good luck on several occassions, though
I don't vouch for the safety part of this, by screwing all of the
studs into the wishbones, minus the nut, and then carefully using my
floor jack to compress the pan and spring onto the wishbones.  This
usually requires a bit of manipulation of the jack and pan to align
the pan with the studs but once the studs are through a couple of the
holes you can use the nuts to pull the pan onto the wishbones with
ease, It also occurrs to me that you could get a longer bolt with the
same diameter and threads, cut it off, insert it into the wishbone
which would make this procedure less difficult since it would not
require that the springs be compressed quite as much.  Of course after
everything was in place you would then have to remove the longer
bolts, one at a time, and replace them with the original ones.

  Your mileage may vary but this has worked for me several times.
Which brings up the question of I had to do this more than once.  But
that's another story.

  Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6 TBI

  PS: Just returned from the SEVTR in Jekyll Island. Georgia where my
club hosted the Hospitality Suite.  I now know how popular one can
become with only a few beers though the popularity is fleeting once
you run out of "the good stuff".  Sorry but I forgot my camera so
didn't take any photos.  Perhaps Ashford Little, the official SEVTR
photographer and a lister, can make some available to the list.