Re: [6pack] Total seal piston rings

To: Greg Perry <rgperry@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Total seal piston rings
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:45:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Greg Perry wrote:

> Hello List,

Hello...

> Is there any justification for using gapless piston rings in a daily
> driver TR6?  I noticed that Bob Lang mentioned blow by in his street
> motor at a low mileage figure and was considering a winter rebuild.

Perhaps I mis-stated, but a motor with 131k miles is hardly considered
"low mileage"... but I also think that 131k miles with the original
pistons and orignal bore is pretty remarkable.

Regarding total seal rings - there's no need for them on a street car. You
go with total seal for the last few HP, not for durability and longevity.
So I'd consider gapless (aka total seal) rings to be a waste of money for
a street car.

> Regards,  Greg Perry

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489