Re: [6pack] Oil Change after the Winter - Essential?

To: Robert McBride <rmcbride@mi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Oil Change after the Winter - Essential?
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:25:26 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Robert McBride wrote:

> Bob R     I think your way is the worst thing you can do... you are leaving
> all the water, acid and dirt in the engine over winter??  I think It's much
> better to change after the last ride in the fall and then run that oil the
> next spring...  Bob M

I agree - storing the car with all that acid is bad, bad, bad for the
bearings. I can tell when a car's been stored with used oil because the
bearings turn black in spots.

If you're storing your car, change the oil before you store it. I usually
change the oil after 500 miles or so in the spring. If you don't run your
engine at all during the winter, you still get degradation of the oil in
the sump, so you should change it again in the spring even if you don't
drive the car.

An oil change is $25. New bearings cost a lot more than $25!

Not changing the oil is false economy.

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489