Re: [6pack] valve cover question

To: <trsix74@comcast.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] valve cover question
From: "Wayne Lee" <wayne@motorcarriage.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:03:55 -0400
       For one thing, don't powder coat the inside of your Rocker Cover.
They have ways of masking? (Not Tape) to avoid it. You don't
want it on the Gasket mating surface either. In my opinion Powder Coating
such a flexible sheet metal pieces with a brittle coating
will lead to problems and chip the first time you tighten it down. I'm
having trouble deciding on Powder Coating an Intake Manifold
on my 65 Land Rover 4-Cyl. to 2-Barrel Weber Manifold. I know it's been done
on TR6 Manifolds, but the mass and it bolted up directly to
the Exhaust Manifold concerns me. Intake is Aluminum and the differential
expansion and excessive heat to the Intake I think will crack my Powder
Coating on the LR Intake.
    If you go forward with the Powder Coating process don't worry about
glass beading the inside of your Rocker Cover. Just degrease it so it won't
smoke
during the process. You don't want the inside coated anyway, as soon as it
comes off, it will be heading downstream. Please let us know how You make
out.
I'd opt for an Alloy Cover, I've had great luck with mine. If it's going
under the watchful eyes of Concourse judges it won't pass, but either should
Powder Coating.
YMMV!
Cheers,
Wayne Lee