Re: [6pack] Six inch speakers?

To: forzion@maine.rr.com, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Six inch speakers?
From: "John VanNorman" <jsvannorman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:27:20 -0400
Dave,

I purchased new kidney panels from TRF with the normal 4" holes and
then cut the hole to make it fit a 6" speaker.

It wasn't that hard.  As you probably know, on a panel with a 4" hole,
the vinyl around the hole is folded back onto the backside of the
panel and then held in place with staples (and I think some adhesive).
 I just pulled the staples, pulled the vinyl back, enlarged the hole,
cut the vinyl so that it would fold back onto the backside smoothly,
and then re-stapled it.  The hardest part was cutting a larger hole in
the panel.  You have to be careful not to accidentally poke a hole in
the vinyl.  I couldn't use a jig saw since the tip of the blade would
have ripped through the vinyl, so I ended up using a combination of a
grinding attachment and small sanding drum attachment for my Dremel
tool and enlarging the hole that way.  I think I have pictures of the
work somewhere, so let me know if you would like to see them.

I would think you could do the same thing with a panel with no holes.

Also, I took one of my old panels and did a test run on it to make
sure it would work.  I'd recommend doing that as well.

John V.

1974 1/2 TR6

------
Hey list;

Some of your browse through TR6 stuff on eBay, from time to time. On
the list of parts amnd sellers is a guy who typically sell the "kidney
pads" into which many lister mount their radio speakers. he sell them
with  NO holes or with 4" holes. I asked him what about mounting six
inch speakers -- how could someone accomplish that with a four inch
dia. mounting hole? He answered: "Can't be done, use smaller
speakers!" I know I have seen many folks with six inch speakers
mounted in their tranny-side "kidney" panels -- did you buy panels
with NO holes then cut your own to suit?

Thanks for any insights.

Dave
'74-Six
Maine