[6pack] rear end vibration

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] rear end vibration
From: Ian Breyer <ianbreyer@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:16:38 -0800 (PST)
Hi all. I hope you guys can provide some insight.

My 72 tr6 has been shaking pretty bad. It seams to be be coming from the rear
of the car and is most noticeable when doing 50mph or more especially when I
let my foot off the accelerator. The car also seams very jumpy around town when
I hit bumps. Incidentally it started after I had the rear wheels off to bleed
the brakes. I thought maybe I hadn't tightened the wheels properly so I took
them off and retightened them. I have checked tire pressure and the tires are
pretty new so I don't really think this is the problem and that the timing of
the two problems was just a coincidence. When I had the wheels off I took a
look at the rear shocks and springs. They are old but nothing looked broken or
disconnected as far as I could tell. I wasn't able to check out the u-joints or
rear end.

I am leaning towards having the rear suspension rebuilt as I have all the parts
on hand.

I can't completely rule out the front end as there is some vibration in the
steering column but it feels to me that this is being transmitted to the
steering wheel from the whole car shaking rather than the front end being the
problem. I have driven cars with alignment issues and this feels different to
me.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Ian

Ian Breyer