Re: [6pack] Clunky rear

To: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>, 6pack List
Subject: Re: [6pack] Clunky rear
From: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 02:49:20 GMT
Kendall---The axle splines can be lubed with any good grease. (I prefer that
nasty black stuff, Molykote). Clean out the inner splines with an old
toothbrush and thinner or gas, and the do the same with the outer half. Wipe or
blow dry, lather them up, and slip them together. If you have both pieces in
your hands you can sort of tell if the spines are worn, by doing the back and
forth thing. You'll get a better look at some of the u-joints this way.  (I
always suspect the 'joints)

As others have noted, you could have a stacked accumlation of play that can
create the snap you hear. A new right side axle solved my noise, after doing
the other checks. Swapping them around from side to side did nothing.

Do not discount (loose) lever shock bolts as a cause. It only takes a little to
bang around. Check the bolts that secure the trailing arm brackets.

If you suspect it's in the diff, take a drive "up the coast". I can loan you a
rebuilt one. If that was the problem, we can negotiate a price!

Dick