Re: [6pack] heater fan blowing fuse

To: John VanNorman <jsvannorman@gmail.com>, 6-Pack
Subject: Re: [6pack] heater fan blowing fuse
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:15:03 -0700
        John:

        Does the fuse blow on high speed, low speed or both? You need not toast
more
fuses. Pull the fuse in question, and check the resistance between the heater
side of the fuse clip and ground with the fan "ON". The ignition key should be
in the off position while doing this test, the transmission should be in first
gear and the wipers should be off. This will disable all the other circuits
except the heater.
        Flip the heater between both speeds. Does the resistance change by more
than
1 ohm?

1. Yes - it toggles between a few ohms and almost zero.
  Leave the fan speed switch in the high resistance position, replace the
fuse, and switch
  the ignition to the accessory position. What happens?
        The fan does not turn at all: The fan motor is shorted or perhaps
seized.
        The fan runs at high speed: GRN/YLW wire from switch is shorted to
ground.
      The fan runs at a low speed: GRN/BRN wire from switch is shorted to
ground.
2. No - The resistance changes by less than 1 ohm.
      The switch is bad, or miswired.

        A seized fan motor would not be uncommon, and can be repaired. The car
is 30
years old, and the motor shaft is mild steel, so it is prone to corrosion.
Also, in 30 years the motor lube probably dried up as well.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast