Re: [6pack] Clutch/Transmission issue

To: Darcy_Hunter@Instron.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Clutch/Transmission issue
From: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 21:34:23 GMT
Darcy---The pin you installed is called the "anti-rotation" pin. It's purpose
is what it implies -- to stop the bearing housing from rotating (and wearing
on) the front cover OD and the bearing sleeve ID. Some owners have left this
pin out. Some years ago I also tried this for a time, wanting to get more life
out of the RHP throwout bearing. I found it created wear, as described above.
Wear on these sliding parts can lead to clutch and bearing misalignment, which
of course we want to avoid.
Using this pin will eventually "notch" the bearing sleeve, but this doen't seem
to be a problem in itself.

My earlier post to Dale, you and (6 pack) was rejected for being "too long", so
I will try to shorten it at this time.
Dale's idea to make the top two studs longer to aid in alignment is a good one.
However, I don't think this creates a problem with clutch disengagement.
Misalignment Will set up a potential squeal between the clutch and t/o bearing
The problem of not being able to get the tranny into gear with the motor
running is primarily caused by the input shaft turning, when it shouldn't be.
The clutch is partially still engaged.

Dick