Re: [6pack] Free spinning fan

To: Alex <ambritts@bellsouth.net>, *Six Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Free spinning fan
From: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 02:27:43 GMT
Alex---The chances of the two pins shearing are remote, if they were ever in
there, given their size and duty.  If both the fan and its extension can be
turned by hand, or do not keep up with the crank damper with the engine
running, I suspect that the long (3/4" diam?) bolt is either loose, or bottomed
out in the crankshaft. If so, then the load on the two pins would be much
greater, and could then possibly shear. If the bolt is loose, you should be
able to lever the damper back and forth a bit, while considering that some of
this movement could be at the thrust washers. You may want to try this test
with the clutch pedal depressed to hold the crankshaft forward.

Yes, it's necessary to remove the radiator to get to the crank pulley bolt
head. (I think it takes a 1-1/8" socket) Know that if this bolt does happen to
be loose, there should be some associated noise coming from this end of the
engine, as when revving it. The extension would likely be out of balance., and
unneccessary wear could be going on between the bolt and
extension.

It's not a big deal to drain the radiator and take a look at the bolt in
question.

Dick