Re: [6pack] starter or ring gear

To: lfm614@aol.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] starter or ring gear
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:04:35 -0600
lfm614@aol.com wrote:
> If the starter is not getting full power either from a weak battery or bad
>connection the actuator/gear might not be going in all the way and grazing the
>ring gear. Easy to check with a VOM at the starter.

I could buy that but for the construction of this type of starter.  It
doesn't use a centrifugal Bendix-type arrangement to throw the pinion
into mesh with the ring gear, nor does it have a solenoid and lever fork
to move the pinion--either of those might not fully engage with a weak
battery or high resistance in the starter primary or secondary circuits.

These, on the other hand, use a pinion on a plunger operated by a
solenoid, with the solenoid designed not to switch battery power to the
starter windings until the pinion is fully extended.  If it were just a
matter of low battery power or high resistance (enough to prevent full
engagement), the starter would not turn over, either.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

6pack@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums