[6pack] rear shock conversion

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] rear shock conversion
From: Glenn Franco via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 10:56:45 -0400

--0000000000008ed62b05a574ac44

The rear shock conversion sold by the likes of Moss Motors, TRF, Vicky
Brit, and others is likely going to result in the shock crossmember being
fractured at the weld to the frame. I have fixed a few of these and this is
a well known failure mode. The best practice if you are going to use these
is to fashion a diagonal brace from the upper shock mount 45 deg down to
the frame. I have seen some made from angle but I made a number of these
from 1" thick wall tube.
The problem with this conversion is its to simple to attach but it imparts
fore aft loads on the crossmember that causes fractures and then if fails
completely and detaches from the frame.
The lever shocks do not cause fore aft loads and therefore no issues. We
just had another club member suffer such a failure of the shock crossmember.
If you ever have to fix one of these your in for a treat since not only
does it pull away from the frame but it tends to twist that crossmember.
This bracket should not be confused with the one TRF sold that the upper
shock mount attaches to the inner rear wheel well. That one has its own
issues.
 Good luck with that
Glenn

--0000000000008ed62b05a574ac44

otors, TRF, Vicky Brit, and others is likely going to result in the shock c=
rossmember being fractured at the weld to the frame. I have fixed a few of =
these and this is a well known failure mode. The best practice if you are g=
oing to use these is to fashion a diagonal brace from the upper shock mount=
 45 deg down to the frame. I have seen some made from angle but I made a nu=
 this conversion is its to simple to attach but it imparts fore aft loads o=
n the crossmember that causes fractures and then if fails completely and de=
taches from the frame.</div><div>The lever shocks do not cause fore aft loa=
ds and therefore no issues. We just had another club member suffer such a f=
ailure of the shock crossmember.</div><div>If you ever have to fix one of t=
hese your in for a treat since not only does it pull away from the frame bu=
t it tends to twist that crossmember.</div><div>This bracket should not be =
confused with the one TRF sold that the upper shock mount attaches to the i=
nner rear wheel well. That one has its own issues.</div><div>=C2=A0Good luc=

--0000000000008ed62b05a574ac44--