Re: [6pack] rear shock conversion

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] rear shock conversion
From: Richard Taylor via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 13:47:38 -0700
My message here, as told before on different TR6 forums, is that if one wants
to convert from lever shocks to tube shocks, it is prudent that when the
trailing arm rises the trailing arm bump stop(s) take the force, and not the
shock attachment points. This can be checked by removing the road spring and
manual lifting the TA up to see where contact is made. In my case, when done
approx. 10 years and around 70,000 miles ago. A 1/8 inch spacer was added where
it screws to the new TA bump rubbers. Also some shifting around to the shock
bump rubbers, so that there was room left in the shock stroke when hard contact
was made between the bump stop and the bump rubbers. Also note here that iâ??m
running the â??semi-compâ?? road springs, so itâ??s not often that all of the
spring compression takes place.
I write this not to defend the tube shock conversion, but to show that this
conversion needs to be checked out to be sure the above takes place. And no,
the attachment point from my conversion has never torn loose or welded at any
time. I do view this area each time the road wheel is removed for some other
reason.
So far as what I look for regarding shock operation is not all that scientific.
Just press down with my weight on the rear fenders several times and watch the
action, I want both bounce and rebound to show a good damping effect.
In place is the KYB silver shock conversion, purchased from VB. (A birthday
gift from my bride of 30 years)

Dick