Re: Series 2 Intake

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Series 2 Intake
From: william.lewis@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:31:17 -0700
Ivan
     I used to run my car with the intake water disconnected.  The car ran
well in the summer, but in the winter, it never ran well.  I think the
racers disconnected this water hose to get a more dense fuel mixture and
more power, but race conditions cause a pretty hot engine.  I am currently
running my motor with the intake heater connected and am happier for it.
     Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.  But where was
everyone to warn me of the throw out bearing before I switched from the
carbon bushing to the "new and improved bearing"?  I now wish I had left
the old carbon bushing in place as it worked great.  Oh well, I guess I'll
run my car as is and pull the whole thing apart when the bearing finally
fails.
Bill Lewis

                    "Witbracht, Ivan L"

                    <Ivan.Witbracht@West.B        To:
"'alpines@autox.team.net'"
                    oeing.com>                    <alpines@autox.team.net>

                    Sent by:                      cc:

                    owner-alpines@autox.te        Subject:     Series 2 Intake

                    am.net

                    08/18/00 06:11 AM

                    Please respond to

                    "Witbracht, Ivan L"

I'm curious about the reason for the water flow through the stock intake
manifold.  Is it intended to warm the manifold quickly when the engine is
cold, or is it to cool the manifold from the heat of the exhaust headers
below it when the engine is hot?

If the water line were disconnected, would the engine run stronger with a
cooler, denser air/fuel charge?

Ivan Lee Witbracht