Re: Series 2 Intake

To: "Witbracht, Ivan L" <Ivan.Witbracht@West.Boeing.com>
Subject: Re: Series 2 Intake
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:04:00 -0500
"Witbracht, Ivan L" wrote:

> I'm curious about the reason for the water flow through the stock intake
> manifold.  Is it intended to warm the manifold quickly when the engine is
> cold, or is it to cool the manifold from the heat of the exhaust headers
> below it when the engine is hot?
>
> If the water line were disconnected, would the engine run stronger with a
> cooler, denser air/fuel charge?

I'm not an Alpine expert, but I'm pretty good on Minis and MGs and I assume
it's to prevent carb icing. I use the plumbed intake manifold *and* a
dashpot heater on the souped-up Cooper S, since it ices badly without them.

-Rock
--
Ask your ISP to amend its TOS & assess fines for spamming and serious
abuse. Clean up the net without government intervention. Pass it on.