Re: Smog laws again

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Subject: Re: Smog laws again
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:54:06 +1000
Jay

You make some pretty good points and I share some of your views.  We all tend
to assume the right to fresh air while at the same time polluting it.  If you
want to read some thought provoking stuff visit:

http://members.aol.com/trajcom/private/trajcom.htm

However, the issue is a complex one and I believe that the "lets scrap old cars
in favour of new" approach is not always the answer.  The production,
distribution and marketing of new cars consumes vast resources and produces
vast quantities of greenhouse gases and other pollutants.  It follows that cars
should be maintained in good condition to (a) minimise pollution during use and
(b) be viable for as long as possible.  They should then be recycled.  It can
be argued that the classic car movement is helping here.  What I have no time
for are the obvious piles of crap out there - often visibly unsafe and blowing
more smoke than you can see through.

But the bigger questions to be answered are in what new cars are we putting on
the road and how we use them.  There is a growing trend in Australia for people
to buy large 4 wheel drives like Toyota landcruisers and use them exclusively
for city running, and I believe there is a similar trend with 'pickups' in the
US.  They obviously use more resources both in build and usage and are
unnecessary.  They often carry one person, on trips that could be walked,
cycled or taken in a decent public transit system.  Maybe if petrol was $2.00 a
litre ($9.00 a gallon) like in Europe....

Anyay, don't take your Sunbeam off the road yet!

Cheers

Vic