SV: Release bearing

To: <hillman@can-inc.com>, "alpine" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: SV: Release bearing
From: "G" <gratz@tystberga.mail.utfors.se>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:21:33 +0200
Some people seems to have problems with the clutch release bearing, others
don't. I think there are 3 reasons for this.
1. Clutch depressed  for very long periods. When I did look at this carbon
thing for the first time (20 years ago) I thought: what a fragile thing, will
this last more then a week?? So with that in mind I never ride the clutch more
the necessary. Always in neutral when starting the engine, at the red light,
even when waiting for cars if it is more the ten seconds. Now I am so used to
it I newer think about it. I even do the same thing when I drive modern cars,
quite unnecessary.
Can this be the reason why I never had any clutch release problem?
2. some peculiar misalignment with the whole set-up? but how?
3. Bad quality?

Well, its a primitive devise. A quality roller bearing ($15) would last a car
lifetime.
On the other hand, the whole car is quite primitive, but that's the charm

Kristian Jonsson