overheating

To: kregkallenberger@home.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: overheating
From: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 11:22:59 -0500
Hi Kreg,

Not having my Sunbeam in front of me to check, I would guess the heater
valve may be installed incorrectly. Although it seems like not enough
coolant to overheat the car, I would check this first.

Tom

Message text written by "kreg"
>Help if you can,

Iv'e been driving a different Sunbeam , actually a Tiger, but I still have
the
Series V,the past two days that I  do not know the history of but it has
had a
rebuild of late on the engine and everything seems fine except- When I
slide
the heater control from off over to hot to use the heater or defroster the
engine temp guage jumps up like a rocket.  The engine temp is fine until I
slide the heater control from "0ff".

I always thought that if your engine was overheating you should turn the
heater on - that is to say open the heater control valve.  This is just the
opposite.  Since this a new car to me I was wondering if anyone had a guess
where to start to diagnose this situation.  I can drive around all day with
no
overheating otherwise.  Maybe the thermostat is in backwards or something.
am stumped- but it is not the first time.

?????
<