Overheating

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Overheating
From: "Marc Stenchever" <Marcsten@prontomail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 11:09:52 -0800
Is it possible that the heater hoses have been crossed? There should
be three hoses:
one comes off the manifold, then attatches to the end of the heater
valve; the second attatches to the other outlet on the valve and goes
into the passenger side of the heater; the third leaves the heater
and returns to the thermostat housing.
The one caveat is that my car has a seies V motor in a Series IV, and
there seem to be some series IV remenants in the engine compartment;
so your Series V may be a little different, but I'm sure that the
theory is the same.
Marc

>To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
>Subject: overheating
>Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 23:17:17 -0600
>
>Help if you can,
>
>Iv'e been driving a different Sunbeam , actually a Tiger, but I
still have
>the
>Series V,the past two days that I  do not know the history of but it
has
>had a
>rebuild of late on the engine and everything seems fine except- When
>slide
>the heater control from off over to hot to use the heater or
defroster the
>engine temp guage jumps up like a rocket.  The engine temp is fine
until I
>slide the heater control from "0ff".
>
>I always thought that if your engine was overheating you should turn
the
>heater on - that is to say open the heater control valve.  This is
just the
>opposite.  Since this a new car to me I was wondering if anyone had
a guess
>where to start to diagnose this situation.  I can drive around all
day with
>no
>overheating otherwise.  Maybe the thermostat is in backwards or
something.
>am stumped- but it is not the first time.

Get your email at
http://www.prontomail.com