Disassembling old engine - 50wt oil 30+years old

To: Sunbeam <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Disassembling old engine - 50wt oil 30+years old
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 07:42:43 +0000
Does anybody know of an easy way to get components free on an old engine
with oil that is 30+ years old.   It was running a racing oil which now
is like "Indian Shelac".  It has turned to tar.

I have used Kroil and WD-40 but the stuff is unbelievable.

It took me 30+ minutes to free the oil pump.  I even had to get out the
propane torch to heat the base slightly.  The heat helped but not much.

The pistons are "glued" in place.   Once I lift the crank the only thing I
can think to do is get the propane out and warm the underside of the
pistons.

There has to be a fluid that will penetrate this oil.   I wish I had an oven
this block would fit into.

Thanks,

Steven Silverstein