Re: 1725 with no numbers

To: ellis838@concentric.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1725 with no numbers
From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:23:21 -0500
Hi Jim,

I too have a factory 1725cc "short block" which has no serial numbers on the
customary surface.

I also have a Rootes replacement 1725cc engine. As was mentioned in another
response, it is identified by a plate on the left side of the block. However,
different to what was mentioned, my Rootes replacement engine plate is mounted
with short (1/4") machine screws, not rivets, into tapped holes located at the
back of the block, hidden by the starter when it is mounted. The replacement
engine does have a serial number from the B395 series, however, and is a
couple of thousand after the body number of the car from which it was
removed....which leads to another question.

Digging out from todays snowfall

John Slade
Manotick, ON