Re: Hood Release

To: wiencek@anl.gov
Subject: Re: Hood Release
From: Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu (Christopher Albers)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:57:19 -0800
wiencek@anl.gov writes:
>Is the early Alpine rod type hood release a direct replacement for the
>cable style (Series V) hood release?  Has anyone done this swap?  Do
>you have to modify any of the brackets?  Thank you.

I tried this and it just wasn't worth the effort.  You must modify the
bracket that holds it in the car and make the hole bigger where it
attaches to the latch.  After I did all that it did not operate
smoothly & consistently.  I trashed it and went back to the cable.

The reason why I wanted to retrofit the rod was to improve reliability.
 We've all heard horror stories about broken cables.  Well, after that
didn't work, I decided on another means to have an out, should my cable
break.  I purchased a second cable, about 18" long, and affixed it to
the latch arm and passed it back thru the firewall.  The cable hangs
under the dash with a small knob on it.  If the primary should ever
break or come loose, all I have to do is reach under the dash and I'm
back in business.

CNA