Re: [Sports cars [Was now what to do with it.]]

To: "Russell & Neola" <rmaddock@petrie.hotkey.net.au>,
Subject: Re: [Sports cars [Was now what to do with it.]]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 6 Mar 2001 09:21:20 EST
To add to your list of "pure" sports cars: any Bugatti, any Ferrari. However,
finding a "pure" somewhat affordable sports car is hard.  By "pure" in this
case I mean a chassis and engine that was designed as sports/racing car to
begin with.

Jan

"Russell & Neola" <rmaddock@petrie.hotkey.net.au> wrote:
As an afterthought I think I can nominate some marques responsible for some
truly thoroughbred sports cars, albeit at stratospheric prices. How about
Bentley - real WO Bentley ones, not Rolls-Royce based ones - and, ahem,
Sunbeam.

The Sunbeam 3 Litre used a specially designed engine and chassis rather than
sharing them with more lowly models. A 3 litre gave Bentley a jolly good
thrashing too at Le Mans in 1925. Unfortunately they were beaten to the post
by a Lorraine-Dietrich.

Another possibility is, dare I say it, Vauxhall. Vauxhall used to build some
highly desirable cars until GM got involved. The 30/98 and Prince Henry
models come to mind, but I don't know for sure that they didn't share
anything with a run-of-the-mill model.

Russ Maddock

Sunbeams hit the Gold Coast in June 2001 - www.qld.sunbeam.org.au/national