Re: Production Halt

To: "Barbara Blue" <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Production Halt
From: "jon" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 08:32:29 -0600
    Production of the Tiger stopped first, as Chrysler pulled the plug on
selling a car with a Ford engine. Especially when Chrysler was warrantying
it for 7 years/70,000 miles, and Ford only gave 24,000 miles! If I remember
correctly, all Mark II Tigers are 1967s, and no 1968s.

     The halt of Alpine production was mainly due to US legislation. In
January of 1968, the National Highway Traffic Safety Act went into effect.
This caused many minor changes in all cars sold here, but one major feature
of the Alpine was outlawed - fender mounted gas tanks. ( or petrol tanks in
the wings)  Since changing that would have cost many dollars for a 10 year
old design, the Alpine was quietly killed, and all 1968 Alpines were built
before the end of 1967. The NHTSA chnages were incorporated into the next
generation designs..... not that it helped any.

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA