Re: Production Halt

To: the_blues@worldnet.att.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Production Halt
From: SloMoIV@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:17:37 EST
the_blues@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Speaking of Alpines and "doner" production cars, why did Rootes stop
 production of the Alpine? >>

As others have posted, the end of the Audax line could of had something to do
with it but, according to Graham Robson, in his "Complete Story" book, it was
a business decision based on the Alpine's 'performance.'

Page 143:
    "Following the final Chrysler takeover, a group of us motoring writers
met the new Rootes/Chrysler chief executive, Gilbert Hunt.  In the middle of
an affable with him, I mentioned the Alpine, commented that its marketing
seemed to be running down, but suggested that at least it must have made some
money for Rootes in the past?
    "Hunt, a businessman rather than an enthusiast, looked at me, raised an
eyebrow, pursed his lips, and made one short, and rather chilling comment:
'Not according to the figures I see, it hasn't.'
    "I knew then...the Alpine's days were numbered."

Dick Sanders
Seattle