engine rebuild

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: engine rebuild
From: "William Lewis" <william.lewis@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 17:16:57 -0800
My understanding of why newer motors can go 200,000 plus miles (like my
Jeep Cherokee) is in part that metallurgy has improved over the years.
This includes better bearings, but also includes the realization that if
rings wear, then using thicker rings will allow for a longer engine life.
If any of this is true, does anyone know if the bearings, etc. that I put
into my recent engine rebuild have benefited from any of the new
technology.  I doubt I will get 200,000 miles out of my Sunbeam motor, but
100,000 miles trouble free would be a dream.
Bill (FrankenSeries II) Lewis