Re: engine rebuild

To: William Lewis <william.lewis@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu>,
Subject: Re: engine rebuild
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 23:11:10 -0800
William Lewis wrote:

> My understanding of why newer motors can go 200,000 plus miles (like my
> Jeep Cherokee) is in part that metallurgy has improved over the years.
> This includes better bearings, but also includes the realization that if
> rings wear, then using thicker rings will allow for a longer engine life.

Bill,
        Actually, the ring design is just the opposite, being that they are
thin and low tension. They are that way for low friction and long life.
When rebuilding a modern engine with these low tension rings, the
cylinder cross-hatch has to be just right or there will be problems with
the rings. By comparison, the Alpine rings have tremendous ring tension.
Jan

--