Re: Muffler

To: bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: Muffler
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 10:59:45 -0700
bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net wrote:

> I think I was told many moons ago that a larger diameter pipe will deepen the
> sound.  Bill
>
> Vladimir Broz wrote:
>
> > My SV is currently running a UK manufactured exhaust system whose muffler
> > emits a rather loud "reedy" note when the "pedal is to the metal".  Is
> > anyone familiar with a brand of muffler that would deepen the sound.  Not
> > necessarily a "basso profundo", but less "step-on-the-tail-of-the-cat" and
> > more Tiger-like.
> >
> > And a hearty thanks to all who offered servo advice.
> >
> > All the best, Vlad

I just went to only slightly larger pipes on my Tiger (1 3/4" to 2"), and kept
the original mufflers. I'd imagine the same effects might happen on an Alpine
too. You wouldn't think that such a small increase would make a difference but
the sound is definitely deeper and a bit louder, plus, amazingly, the car seems
to run a bit cooler. The exhaust shop that did the job said the 1 3/4" pipes
were
too restrictive and that this would be the result on both issues and it seems
they are correct. By the way, I'd recomend this shop to anyone in the area (it's
in Woodland Hills, California) as they seem very honest and did great work, and
charged a bit less than they said they would. Let me know if anyone's interested
in their number.

Steve Sage