Re: Question for rear end experts

To: "Ed Esslinger" <edstiger@snowhill.com>,
Subject: Re: Question for rear end experts
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:14:57 -0700
Ed, Someone on the list can surely give you the details, but basically, all
north American Series 5's came with 4.22 ratios up to a certain serial
number in the 10,000 or 11,000 range, whether they had O/D or not. Of
course, any car should be tested to see what is in it because after 30 some
years, who knows what is in there. I don't know of any serial numbers on the
axles, but the best way to tell is to jack up one rear wheel of the car,
take up the lash in the wheel and mark the ground. Put the car in 4th gear,
and hand crank the engine 4 complete turns. If the wheel turned one complete
turn or more, it is a 3.89. If it wasn't quite a turn, then it is a 4.22.
Lou