RE: Overdrives and rpm]

To: "Thomas Wiencek" <wiencek@anl.gov>, <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Overdrives and rpm]
From: "Paul and Susan Almjeld" <palmjeld@home.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:32:41 -0500
Hi all:  the actual difference between "actual" and "rolling" is not a
significant factor in this equation.  Assuming 1 inch of "compression" while
rolling, there is not a significant difference in mph. For example, using a
circumference of 71 inches and a 3.89 rear end with a 1:1 final drive,  at
60mph the rpm's are 3500(according to my Sunbeam SpeedCalc software).  With
a circumference of 70 inches at 3500 rpm it calculates 59 mph. OK, so it's 1
mph different.  I think most of us would be delighted if we had something
close to this kind of accuracy.

The difference between the 3.89 and 4.22 rear end is more dramatic.  Again,
using a 71 inch tire circumference, the 4.22 rear end requires 3765 rpm to
make 60 mph compared to 3500 with a 3.89.
My 5 speed with a .783 final drive ratio and 3.89 rearend requires only 2948
to make 60.

my 2c worth

Paul