Re: Alternator Conversion

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator Conversion
From: ellis838@concentric.net
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 00:59:10 -0400
 John,
  I used Toms directions when I put a datsun alternator on my SV. I
scratched my head all of one afternoon trying to figure out which wire
went where and studying a original wiring diagram. My car did not have a
charging indicator light and the under dash wires are a lot of things
none of which are original. What I ended up doing was going to the parts
store and buying a roll of wire and a little red  light assembly. The
light snapped into the cigarette lighter hole like it was made for it. I
then followed Toms instructions and wired it up just as he shows, using
my new roll of wire and light and disconnected the original wires to the
alternator [generator in your case] and regulator. There were a bunch of
wires that use to do something, I just taped them up. When I had it all
wired up I crossed my fingers and turned the key. Nothing happened the
light did not come on and when I tried to start it the starter did not
turn. Well I took it all back apart and checked it then put it all back
together and still nothing. The battery was dead... off to the parts
store and of course they told me I needed a new one. Put the new battery
in and it worked just as described, this is when I decided that Tom must
be a genius. A forty dollar alternator, a few feet of wire, a light  it
all bolted on it worked wow.
 I would figure out what your kill switch toggle is doing, most likely
it supplies voltage to the coil, if that is the case I would rewire it
to the ignition switch make sure it is a contact that is only hot with
the key on. Then use new wires and follow Tom the geniuses wiring
diagram and your dead battery problems are over.  Jim  [who just
discovered that you cannot get your battery out after you put a roll bar
in!]