Making an Alpine handle and gearing

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Making an Alpine handle and gearing
From: Ben Mies <bmtbm1@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:30:38 -0400
I am coming close to starting on my alpine project.  I am getting tired of
looking in the garage and seing my Dad's beatifull SV sitting next to my,
well, "not so beatifull" or running SII.  I am looking for ideas on how to
build it.  After riding around in my Dad's origanal car, I would like to
improve the handling of the car since I do travel on very, very twisty
mountain roads daily.  In the Victoria British catalog, it shows some sway
bars and polyurethane bushings and adjustable shocks are available.  What
are some other ways to make the car handle better?  What are the widest
tires that you all have put on the car and what backspacing did you use?
Having the origanal wheels is not a priority of mine, so I am open to any
wheels that you suggest.

Also, a 5 speed conversion seems to make more and more sense to me.  I have
heard of using the Toyota 5 speed the most. What year and model Toyotas
have the best transmission ratios for the Alpine. When using this
transmission, what gears are you all using in the rearend?  We have two
different ring and pinions for the car. And, what rpm do you run at 65 mph?

Thankyou
Ben