RE: Making an Alpine handle and gearing

To: bmounce@bellatlantic.net
Subject: RE: Making an Alpine handle and gearing
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:53:51 -0700
Bill,

>Jarrid:  Years ago in college I worked collecting trash (long before
recycling:
>I was a 'trash man').  I remember the Diamond Rio I drove.  My point- you
>mention an 8 speed, maybe the answer is to leave the Rootes four speed in
place,
>and add a two speed split rear!  Thoughts?  Bill

This would be the same as an overdrive, but unless the split gear ratio
is about 1.15 or 15% higher than the excersize would be fruitless
because what you would end up with is a wide ratio overdrive whose
individual gears ratios are somewhat redundant.

Also I think 2 speed rear ends dont like to be "shifted" too much.

Technically the laycock overdrive forms an 8 speed when used on a 4 speed
transmission, practically though, the oil pump for the overdrive doesnt
generate sufficient pressure for safe engagement until the road speed
is 30 mph+.  This yeilds a 6 speed transmision, where 3rd OD is so close
to 4th that they are nearly the same gear.

Now if Laycock had made a .88 ratio overdrive, then we might have had
something.

Jarrid Gross