Re: Re: New Engine & Overdrive

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: New Engine & Overdrive
From: <cs_tscg@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:13:27 -0500
Thanks Keith.

The carb was running well with the old engine setup. I would have never swapped
if it hadn't been for the disappearing coolant. I could have a leak but have
bedded it twice. I will check more carefully. It might also be the valves. I
only cold adjusted them to get the engine running.

As for AC, top up or down, stuck on 285 in Atlanta with a suit in the middle of
summer is no fun! However I know where you are commng from - 20 years ago, I
would have said the same thing. I will be using Cool Eddie's AC manual.

I do like your idea of the kick-down switch...never would of thought of that.

> From: "Alkon" <alkon@bigpond.com.au>
> Date: 2003/02/03 Mon PM 07:09:14 EST
> To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: New Engine & Overdrive
>
> Hi Chris
>
> Lean mixture is a good diagnosis.
> However check the following points before changing jets etc.
> Is the secondary closing completely?
> Are there any manifold air leaks??.
> If the carb was working previously I would expect it to run reasonably OK in
> it's new home.
> Check the under carb gasket is sealed properly and that the carb base is not
> distorted by previous mechanics over tightening.
> Check that the  gasket is not fouling the throttle butterfly.
> The secondary butterfly should open and close freely, you do need to hold
> the primary open to allow you to manually open the secondary.
>
> I have always found the 1600 to rev more willingly than the 1725 block and
> the three bearing configeration not a major disadvantage.
> The progressive Weber will give a much more driveable car, with a pair of
> DCOE or similar you sacrifice low end torque until revs get up enough to
> make adequate air flow through them. Not a problem if you use a few more
> revs.
>
> What's this AC stuff, so whats wrong with the wind in your hair :-)).
> Seriously on the AC subject if you fit an auto trans kick down switch under
> the accelerator and wire it to deactivate the AC drive clutch on full
> throttle you can have your cake (AC) and eat it as well (no waste
> horsepower) :-)).
>
> Keith
> 55 Californian

Chris Stephenson