New Engine & Overdrive

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: New Engine & Overdrive
From: <cs_tscg@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:43:50 -0500
Over the past few weeks, I have been working the Series IV. The first thing I
did was replace the original engine which had started leaking water internally.
I replaced it with my rally engine I had built a few years ago. It was going in
a car I wanted to use to enter road rallies. However other commitments have
prevented me from going ahead with this project. The engine is a early series
with .060 pistons and a late series head. It also has the late series fuel
pump. I am running the single Weber, but plan to switch it with the duel
40DOCEs. I went with the 1600 block because I wanted the block to match the
car. (which now it doesn't) I am having a little trouble tuning everything. I
didn't think the setup would make much difference in jetting, but it may. When
I activate the 2nd stage of the car, it runs great. But when I am just
cruising, the car runs rough. I will look into this in the next week or two as
time permits. Maybe I will just go on with the dual 40s. I am open to opinions
on the jetting issue.

The other thing I did was install one of two overdrive transmissions I had. I
hooked everything up last night but did not have time to test drive. My first
experience with the new transmission was this morning on my way to the airport.
Wow! What a big difference it makes. I was racing the big SUVs! I did no expect
it to work first time out since I was using old scavenged electric parts. But
one flick of the switch and the RPMs dropped. What a good feeling.

Next - AC and a hardtop!

Just wanted to share the joy

Chris Stephenson
PeopleSoft Implementation and Support