Re: Australian S3 GT Spec

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Australian S3 GT Spec
From: "Alkon" <alkon@bigpond.com.au>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:40:03 +1000
Hi Vic

It varies between different cars but the effect of fitting an extractor or
less restrictive exhaust system is always to lean down the mixture. Danger
from this is burned exhaust valves. The engine I have seen this effect on in
a most marked fashion was the in line Ford Zephyr. The "hockey stick "
drainpipe they use for an exhaust manifold was the worst design possible.
Better scavenging of the burned gases from the combustion chamber allows
more fresh charge in and hence more power. In the case of the Zephyr nearly
50% increase. :-)) However if the carb is tuned to live with a large amount
of residual gases from the previous stroke this will have the effect of
creating a lean mixture making the engine run hotter and burning any hot
bits especially exhaust valves. The solution is easy just rejet the carb or
replace with a pair of SUs or CD strombergs.
Alterations to the air filter usually don't have such an effect on mixture
strength, although excessive restrictions in the filter (clogged up:-)) will
give a rich mixture and reduce performance.
I always thought the large "oil bath" filters were bulky, ugly and messy but
allowed good air flow with efficient filtering out of fine dust. So while
they don't look sporty they actually do a good job.Especially in our dry
dusty climate :-))

Rain, precipitation, the fall of moisture from the sky.
I am sure I have seen some in the last few days.
Had my baby out in it for a play.
Had to dry it all off carefully when I got home.
Do need to improve the wiper arm tension somehow as they don't clear the
screen very well.
I do drive it in the rain, then Californians have a hardtop so the rain
stays mostly outside.

Keith
55 Californian