Re: Australian S3 GT Spec

To: Paul Heuer <pheuer@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Australian S3 GT Spec
From: hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:14:24 +1100
Hi Paul,

Curioser and curioser said Alice.   Having the GT spec air filter would
have made sense for dry, dusty Australia.  When I bought my S3 it was a
very un-original ST (it even had an S2 horn ring) that had been Solex
equipped (now Weber, with Lynx air filter).  I believe somewhere in the
pile of mostly worn out parts that came with it was an old canister type
air filter, so maybe it too was originally delivered in GT spec.  (The
original exhaust had been replaced with what looked like home-made
extractors, so no clue there.)

My original engine block is also stamped 'RRO', BUT the first 'R' is
clearly stamped over an 'H' indicating it was at sometime intended for the
British market.

The road test is from "Modern Motor" of February 1964 written by Brian
Hanrahan and quite clearly shows a S3 with Victorian registration plates
'HUX000'.  I can send you a photocopy if you like.

Cheers