Re: Holdens and Sunbeams

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Holdens and Sunbeams
From: "Keith Johnson" <keiths55@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:49:53 +1000
The problem with this sort of swap is the engine sits too far forward.
Handling would be worse than having a shorter V8.
The original steering is the problem. Replace it with a front mount rack and
the engine can be recessed leaving the original weight distribution and
frontal appearance.
Pre Tiger there was a V8 Alpine installation done with the original steering.
The engine was mounted further forward and higher. Handling was not great. The
engine in the Alpine is already about 4" further rearwards than in the other
Rootes cars on this basic platform. In a Minx or Rapier by removing the
steering components behind the engine it is relatively easy to gain about 6"
more space by using the area usually occupied by the heater. This would be
easier than fitting the Chev V8 that I put in a 62 Rapier some years back.

Truth is a well tuned 1725 can make some serious horsepower and even more with
the 2130 stroker kit.
If you are dead set on more than this one of the Jap fours with or without
turbo would give V8 killing performance with no handling penalty. Don't
believe it? Ever chased a WRX in your V8 muscle car and watched him vanish
into traffic ticket territory???

Pity no body makes a "replica" Alpine like they make the replica Cobra. I
could get very interested: a well designed chassis, all independent, four
wheel discs, Lexus Hemi V8, twin turbos all in an attractive package. Couldn't
get the smile off my face. All I would need is air, power steering and a
decent sound system and my wife would drive it.
The Alpine doesn't make the same statement the Cobra makes, my feminist
acquaintances call it a "small penis car" whatever that is supposed to mean.

Sorry about that. This is a bit more off topic than I usually get on this list
:-))
That Holden "red motor" can be made to really go but the 3 litre Snipe motor
would be an interesting choice to keep it all in the family.

Going the other way the latest Australian classic car magazine has a few
pictures of the "Nota Rapier"  now rebuilt as the "Nota Minx"  Rootes powered
lightweight sports racer from the 50's.

Keith
55 Californian
57 Rapier (under re-construction)