Fw: Holdens and Sunbeams

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Holdens and Sunbeams
From: "Keith Johnson" <keiths55@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:26:29 +1000
----- Original Message -----
> > Keith, I know that the 1725 can crank some horses! Here in the USA, we
use
> > Chevy rods and an over bore up to about 1900 and with the right cam, we
> can
> > get 160HP out of them. I had often thought that the way to go would be
> > stroke the engine a bit, and the best thing to do would be to use a
> > different deck height with a longer rod to get more torque.
> >      I was just curious what rods they were using, and what crankshaft,
> > since the crank would obviously need to be modified a hell of a lot to
get
> > 400 cc's out of the engine. I wonder if they are making a new crankshaft
from scratch?
>      Where do you live? I spent a few months in Darwin back in 94, and in
> > 97, I spent a week in Brisbane. I stayed at Russ Maddock's place and we
> got
> > to know each other pretty good. I really liked his Dad, Darcy. A fair
> dinkum
> > car nut like myself!
> >      I am currently building a 1600 for one of my cars. It is a .020
> > overbore but I have made all of the tuning improvements to bring it to
> about
> > 105-110HP. Lou

 I had a talk to the people at all Hunter spares today.
They are discontinuing the stroker as costs have escalated. mainly in
getting a crank modified.
The most recent unit supplied was around $3800 (Aussie $)
They are now doing rebuilds with lighter modern pistons and rods that still
make serious horsepower.
their findings were that the stroker was limited in rpm to about 5500.
Bigger doesn't always give more go.
Sounds like your USA mods with Chevy bits are along the same lines.
I thought $2130 was expensive. I have a Mitsubishi 2600cc four with a five
speed that I could swap in. It came free with a Sigma attached to it :-)) I
always take the lower cost option.
Although I have several   1725 Rootes engines to play with.
They stroked it over 1/2" so I would call that fairly radical modifications,
building up the big end journals and remachining.

Keith