Crankshaft pulley / timing cover clearance??

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Crankshaft pulley / timing cover clearance??
From: "Whiteford, Andy" <A.G.Whiteford@gcal.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:49:28 -0000
Different alpine / arrow manuals talk about "driving on" the pulley, often
if it's a "tight fit" ---  is this because of the clearance between the
pulley and the timing cover ??? My pulley's diameter at the scroll is well
inside that of the aperture in the timing cover, in fact I can wrap one
layer of electrical insulating tape round the circumference and the pulley
still fits in the hole.. Is this a problem ? - perhaps the poulley hs to be
driven on because of the tightness on the crank's woodruff key??
Do I have to swap pulleys ? (and/ or timing covers ?) to get less clearance
And make it more oil tight ??

-cheers-

Andy