Re: Crankshaft pulley / timing cover clearance??

To: "Whiteford, Andy" <A.G.Whiteford@gcal.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft pulley / timing cover clearance??
From: "Steven L. Finberg" <w1gsl@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:39:03 -0500
Hi Andy

Yes there is a fair amount of clearance, Roots used a special tool
to center the timing chain cover...  I used something like 10 mill
shim stock... but its been years. The thickness of electric tape
seems about right.

You should be aware there is a rubber seal gasket needed in addition
to the slinger grove.  I have never pulled apart an alpine engine with this
gasket intact.  It usually is the source of the rubber hunks in the sump.
Last time I needed one, Sunbeam Specialties in CA had them.
It does apear in the parts book exploded view  but is easily missed.
It  makes a big difference in limiting the oil leak from the front.

The dammper should be a tight fit.. if not its likely to damage the
composite pulley, new ones were getting hard to find for the
1725...  I never needed any more than the normal cassilated cranking
bolt to install the dammper.  It does require a special deep socket
to get it to the rated torque. Snap On was the only source locally.
I've seen many marked up by monkey wrenches...

                        Steve F

Steve Finberg                        W1GSL                       w1gsl@mit.edu
PO Box 397082 MIT Br        Cambridge MA  02139-7082              617 258 3754

<Different alpine / arrow manuals talk about "driving on" the pulley, often
<if it's a "tight fit" ---  is this because of the clearance between the
<pulley and the timing cover ??? My pulley's diameter at the scroll is well
<inside that of the aperture in the timing cover, in fact I can wrap one
<layer of electrical insulating tape round the circumference and the pulley
<still fits in the hole.. Is this a problem ? - perhaps the poulley hs to be
<driven on because of the tightness on the crank's woodruff key??
<Do I have to swap pulleys ? (and/ or timing covers ?) to get less clearance
<And make it more oil tight ??

<-cheers-

<Andy